Thursday, June 20, 2013

Small World Story

I am getting a little out of order here with the blogs...but this story is just too good. I spend this past weekend in Istanbul with my son for our annual, brief summer trip as he heads back to the US to be with his dad for the summer.

We had just finished visiting the Spice and Grand Bazaars and stopped a a little shop to get something to drink.
Otto pondering the Grand bazaar at the little cafe.
The waiter had perfect English, without an accent. He commented that I must be American by my accent and I commented the same back to him, which got a laugh and started the conversation. He asked me what part of the US I am from. I usually say California, because overseas people definitely don't know Oregon, and if you say Washington, they think DC. But I went ahead and said Portland, OR. Well, he knew it well and said he had lived in Washington for 6 years growing up - hence the lack of accent.

And where did he live for those 6 years (and still has family).... BOTHELL!! That just happens to be where I graduated from High School. Now, how many of you reading this know where Bothell is? and here i am half way across the world talking to a local at a cafe in Istanbul and we both know Bothell.

But wait, the story gets better. I mentioned another funny coincidence to this local guy about Bothell.  One of my colleagues in Kyrgyzstan visits Bothell every year since his mother now lives there. I told him I think the 3 of us are the only ones in the whole region who know Bothell. Not 20 minutes later, I run into John, my colleague from Kyrgyzstan who knows Bothell. We bumped into each other on the main street in Sultanahmet. I was beside myself. I tell him the whole story and where the cafe is and suggest he stop in to completely freak out the waiter.

The picture for this post...Bothell of course. Now all of you know where it is on the map. Love this life!

No comments:

Post a Comment